Xander Wallace
15 October 2015
Introduction
I chose to look at Toni Morrison's Beloved through the psychoanalytic lens for reasons relating to my own character and interests. Primarily, I have an intellectual concern for the inner workings of the mind. I think that the subconscious plays a major role in the decisions we make, particularly in instantaneous circumstances. I can already infer that the main character, Sethe, carries a heavy psychological and emotional burden with her. Not only was she a slave for most of her life, but her first daughter was killed in infancy. I believe that the traumatic circumstances Sethe has undergone will pave way for a compelling psychoanalysis.
I personally am hyper analytical of my own psyche, as well as those of the people I interact with. I may find that practicing these psychoanalytic habits in an academic context will strengthen my understanding of the psyche, being that I can attach them to events and subtext that is not established in real life. By investigating the conscious and subconscious motives of the characters in Beloved, I may be able to gain a more firm grasp on my own.
---
No comments:
Post a Comment